I have recently installed the W3 Total Cache plugin, and it has made a tremendous difference. I have no specific metrics, but the feeling I have is as if it loads at least three times faster!! WOW!
What makes the biggest contribution is CDN (content delivery network), which I set up on a subdomain. It is not the easiest thing to do and it took a couple hours of tweaking to get it just right. I mostly followed the instructions found here:
There was something that annoyed me for some time: whenever I tried to copy-paste an Internet address written in Greek, the copied text would not appear in Greek; it would appear in some weird coding, where non-Latin characters were replaced by the ASCI code equivalent of the characters. That would (a) take up too much space and (b) appear gibberish and no-one could tell what it meant.
For example, what do you make of the following mess?
In order to be able to use the functionality of the embedded spell checker, you need two things: re-enable the embedded spell checker, which is disabled by default after CKEditor’s installation and then re-enable the browser’s original right-clickcontext menu. That’s how you do it:
Goto CKEditor settings, in wp-admin
Goto “File Editor” option on the menu on the left.
Make sure you’re editing “ckeditor.config.js”
Goto the end of the file and add the following two lines, after the existing text.
Now, a red curly line will appear every time the embedded dictionary does not recognize a word you type. With right-click, you see CKEditor’s context menu. With ctrl-right-click, you see the browser’s context menu, which includes correction suggestions!!