I have recently installed the W3 Total Cache plugin, and it has made a tremendous difference. I have no specific metrics, but the feeling I have is as if it loads at least three times faster!! WOW!
What makes the biggest contribution is CDN (content delivery network), which I set up on a subdomain. It is not the easiest thing to do and it took a couple hours of tweaking to get it just right. I mostly followed the instructions found here:
I also got some hints from How To Install W3 Total Cache Tutorial – Setup Guide and How To Install W3 Total Cache 0.9 Setup Guide.
In order to make it work for me, I specifically did the following things slightly differently:
- In cPanel, I setup a subdomain “static.laspas.gr” with root folder “html_public/static”
- In cPanel, I setup an FTP user account with access to “html_public/static”
- In W3TC – General Settings, I enabled both Database and Object cache
- In W3TC – Browser Cache, in the “General” box, I checked everything except for HTTP compression (gzip), as I found that this would slow down server responsiveness. I also left processing 404 pages unchecked
- In W3TC – CDN, in the “General” box, I checked everything except forced over-writing and importing external media. I also un-checked passive FTP mode, disabled SSL support and left the “FTP path” field blank.
In order to make W3TC work with the WPtouch plugin (which provides a great theme for mobile users), I followed the instructions from here (video and text):
To be honest, I followed the instructions through, but in the end it became a little confusing, so my final step was to take the big list at the end of the post, copy it to a text editor, replace the “x” in “240×320” with a normal “x” and then slap the list on the “restricted user agents” box of W3TC in “Page Cache“, “Minify” and “CDN”. It just worked for me, but YMMV. Now everything works great…